From:
David Shochat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:39:09 -0800
McDonough, Daniel Mr HQ/SAN wrote:

>... One problem I have always had with my own
> code is running off the end of arrays. This usually caused the progam
> to blow up somewhere else. I used to get into endless change, compile,
> run, crash - damn - where is that bug? loops. Now, with Ada, I can squash
> that bug early. And many more besides...

The situation is really much worse than that. I am subscribed to a
couple of lists related to Linux security. I'd say that at least 90% of
the security holes that are discussed there are the result of "buffer
overrun" problems. An incredible amount of time and effort has been
expended (and is still going on) to track these down and fix them. And
it's all due to the lack of array bounds checking in C.
-- David