From:
Stephen Leake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Leake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:28:50 -0500
Bob Luten <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I've just received an inquiry regarding the availability of cross compilers
> for 1750 processors.  Can anybody give me a quick indication of any such
> compilers currently in the marketplace, along with the host processor/OS
> environment it/they require?

I'm currently on a project using Ada on a 1750. The only compiler
available until recently is from DDCI (used to be Tartan). It is
basically Ada 83, with some Ada 95 features creaping in. It runs on a
Solaris host; I'm not sure if they support other hosts.

There is now a port of GNAT, that I have not used at all. See
http://www.xgc.com/. It appears this is _not_ supported by ACT, but
you should check it out.

I would strongly recommend trying the GNAT port. The DDCI compiler is
buggy, and the support is poor; we ended up using an old version of
the compiler because we could not find adequate work-arounds for the
bugs in the current version.

On the other hand, I would strongly recommend using a different chip.
The 1750 was designed for Ada 83. Unfortunately, that includes not
supporting unsigned arithmetic! It also provides only 64k words for
data and code. There are many better chips out there, some with
similar power requirements.

Hmm, maybe you mean the extended 1750, with a memory map module. That
goes to more than 64k words. I'm not sure if the same compiler
supports both versions, or which version the GNAT port supports. I'd
also recommend against that version. It is _not_ a flat memory space;
it requires manual participation in the link process to arrange the
memory pages. Error-prone, and not worth it.

It may be that the GNAT port manages to hide the chip's problems, but
if you have any choice of chip, try for a different one.

--
-- Stephe