Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:25:14 +1100
From:
Dale Stanbrough <[log in to unmask]>
At 10:12 AM +0100 22/3/01, Peter Hermann wrote:
>Long time ago....    ;-)
>I rolled my own additional calenday package and use it since years:
>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/adapilotresources/basic_tools/calenday.ads
>The current discussion triggered my mind to go to brush up my
>calendar/date/time-related tools with new useful ideas.
>GNAT.calendar is of course a fine starting point for everyone
>but I generally prefer using fully portable independent software.
>In order to make my private stuff possibly eligible for public use
>(e.g. potential contribution for GNAT), I ask you all to
>send me recommendations, ideas, and even suggestions
>for change of spec, etc., related to date and time calculations
>and their string representations.
>keywords:
>locale adjustment, pattern, genericity, flexibility, usefulness,
>open software.
>
>gathering ideas...
>
>--
>Peter Hermann Tel+49-711-685-3611 Fax3758 [log in to unmask]
>Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen
>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/
>Team Ada: "C'mon people let the world begin" (Paul McCartney)

step # 1 is to build on the work of others. The C/C++ report (or is
it "C/C++ Journal"?) had an article a couple of years back on the
internationalisation of the C libraries, which included some date
stuff as well.

I think we should learn from their stuff before recreating all their
thinking, and perhaps even making  mistakes they they recognised and
avoided.

Dale