From:
LJK Software <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:33:46 EST
    [log in to unmask] (Mike Berman) wrote:

>Just to let everyone know, I dutifully report every piece of spam that comes
>across the Team Ada list through SpamCop. This was extremely effective
>several
>months back, but I'm not so sure how effective it is any more. The spammers
>just seem to move from host to host and open relay to open relay. It seems
>that
>reporting the spam through SpamCop can also put you at risk, since the
>original
>recipient (you) appear in the headers of the spam you're reporting, the
>recipient of the report gets your address

I report it all through SpamCop as well, and it does a pretty good
job of removing my address from the headers.  Lately some sites have
started using the SpamCop Blocking List (results of SpamCop reports)
to actually bounce mail back to originating servers.

As for open relays, Chinese legislators have recently started a
discussion of what to do about their country's reputation for open
relays, since so many sites are blocking all of China.