From:
Philip Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:10:40 -0600
Samuel Mize wrote:

> > Is there a Ada-specific method to add persistant data capabilities
> > to an application?
>
> I've seen this sort of question before.  It assumes that a "persistant
> data" capability is well-defined and built into many languages already,
> just like "object-oriented" or "multi-threaded" programming.
>
> But looking at the web, references to "persistant data" include
> data base interfaces (OO and otherwise), Javascript cookies, keeping
> user-specific defaults in GUIs between log-in sessions, plain old file
> systems, and I don't know what all.

> Otherwise, I'll just say that Ada has all the power to "roll your own"
> of any language.  It also has:

I totally agree that Ada has the power.  I am working on an
embedded control system and needed a way to save filename
sequence information for data logging.
I can send data out but cannot access the remote file system
(i.e. storing sequence number in a file).  I have found a way of
storing it in flash memory.

[deleted numerous approaches to persistent data]

Several of the approaches you mentioned warrant investigation
for another project in the queue.  That project will need to
store the state data of an object.

Thanks to everyone who provide so much good information.

Phil Johnson