Dave Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:36:56 -0700
pjohnson wrote:

> While at Rational for an Apex course I spoke to the
> Rose 98 sales/marketing support people about an Ada95 addin for Rose 98.  I
> thought this was a reasonable request as Rational sells a Win95/NT Ada95
> compiler.  The response was unexpected.  I was told that they saw no future in
> Ada and no one used Ada on PCs, just Java, Visual C++, and Visual Basic.  They
> also stated that they knew they had lost the Ada market and saw no reason to
> support Ada on their PC product.  I pointed out the Aonix has sold
> 75,000-85,000 licenses of ObjectAda and that translates into a fairly nice
> market potential for modeling tools.
>
> Does any one else think that an Ada95 addin for Rational Rose would be a
> good idea.  I know Aonix has StP, but as a consumer I like the idea of choices.
>
> Also, does this attitude worry anyone else?

If you mean "worry" in terms of this being an accurate
reflection of the State of Ada, I would say no.  I've
heard many a stupid statement from sales reps in the
past that don't necessarily map to reality.  Remember,
they're more driven by their quota arrangement than any
real knowledge of the markets.  I wouldn't worry about
this statement unless it was coming from corporate
management, who ought to be beating this guy about
the head and shoulders.  Even if the message came from
corporate management, that would say more about them
than about the market.  (Dilbert comes to mind here for
some reason...)

That said, ObjectAda sets the competitive entry barrier
pretty high for Ada on Windows, and I intend to keep it
that way.  :)

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager Win32 and Java Products