From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:10:09 -0800
From: Bob Leif
To: Team-Ada

I hope that I have quoted Orwell's Animal Farm correctly.

From: The New York Times, Monday, February 22, 1999, page C4, Compressed

"For the Big Corporation, 24-Hour Linux Support"

"And as of today a small San Francisco-based start-up, Linuxcare Inc. will
be offering large corporations an around-the-clock Linux support service."

"An uninformed user is a bad thing," said Arthur Tyde 3d, chief executive of
Linuxcare. the company's customers will be able to call for help at any
hour, paying annual service rates up to $150,000, depending on what options
they sign up for."

Karl Marx never dreamed of the ultimate exploitation, the developers working
for free! I might add, that although I do not like many things about
Microsoft and its products, Microsoft, at least, pays its programmers.

I wish to suggest again that the concept of making public the source text
(Ada) or code (other less developed languages) is a very good idea.
Conversely, giving up the right to profit from one's work can be agreeing to
be exploited.

I do not believe that the companies including IBM and there employees that
sell or participate in the sales of Linux or other "free" software reduce
their employees' compensation or corporate profits on any other part of the
transaction.