From:
Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:59:07 -0800
>> Having just come back from SIGCSE, by the way, I can say that lots
>> of educational institutions are finding C++ to be --errr-- less than
>> ideal for their intro courses. They are, of course, taking a hard look
>> at Java, but they are _also_ taking a hard look at Ada. Whereas 5 years ago,
>> the very idea of Ada would be laughed out of many faculties, Ada is
>> winning some faculty votes now, and even if Ada loses, it is now
>> a serious candidate. They're not laughing so hard now. This is good.:-)
>
>I suddenly have a picture in my mind of 10 years from now (perhaps even
>sooner):  Having to switch to Ada for new projects because there just
>aren't enough C++ programmers available.

I don't know if that will be the reason or because the blush will be
off C++ (& Java?) by then big time, but we dreamed a lot about this
scenario at SIGCSE'97, hence several button slogan proposals for next
year that Mike didn't list:  (actually, all of these are good for our
industry & Gov't audiences too, not just educators)

"Ada - You'll [still] love us tomorrow"
"You'll come back to Ada"
"Ada has always been here for you, Always will be"
"Ada - Worked for you yesterday, Will work for you tomorrow"
"Ada's always here for you"
 etc.

        -- hh