Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Paul D. Stachour" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 18:56:47 -0500
I am planning to teach a "special subjects" class this coming
fall at the University of St. Thomas entitled "Language
Structures and Compilers".  I would like to give the students
experience both the Ada and with compilers.  I expect that
few, if any, of them have written a compiler, or part of same,
before.  The proposed class-size is 15 students.

[I personally have been involved with the writing of 4 different
compilers, two which were "real" and two of which were "toys".
I am concerned about how big a system I can introduce the
students to without them getting lost.]

I would very much like to use a strongly-typed language such
as Ada as the primary example/focus of the class.

I am open to recommendations as to:

   What textbook would be good?
   What compiler(s) are available in Ada for modification?

I most likely will have a Windows/NT platform available to
the class, although it might be windows95.

In particular, if anyone has experience in something similar
using either GNAT from Ada Core Technologies, or RRSoftware's Ada
compilation system, I would appreciate any advice you might be
able to give me.

Thanks, Paul Stachour

Paul D. Stachour, Software Engineer and Methodologist
9532 First Avenue South           U. St. Thomas Graduate Programs Software
Bloomington, Minnesota 55420      2115 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, 55105
(612)-884-5977 [log in to unmask]  (612)-962-5642 [log in to unmask]