AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:19:20 -0800
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, dscm wrote:

> By the way, Team-Ada is not Jobserve.Com
>
> Isnt there a more appropriate place to fish for freelancers !!

1) There may be a better place for seeking C++ or Java or whatever
   programmers.  There is no better place for seeking Ada programmers.
   Maybe comp.lang.ada, but subscribers to that forum also complain.

2) Two of the complaints I hear about Ada:

       a)  there are no jobs available for Ada programmers,

       b)  there are no Ada programmers for the available jobs.

3) We need to connect the jobs and the programmers in whatever way
   we can to help promote the on-going usage of Ada.

Case 1: One of our clients had decided to use Ada for commercial
programming. We trained a bunch of their programmers in Ada. Several
of those we trained have left for other jobs. The client is now going to
use C instead of Ada because,

    1) because they cannot find Ada programmers,

    2) it is easier to manage employee turnover easier with C/C++

Case 2: An engineering manager in Southern California read a couple of
my articles from Embedded Ssytems Programming magazine and decided to
do one of the projects in Ada as a test of its effectiveness in their
safety-critical environment.  They selected a compiler publisher, not
my choice, who was unprepared to properly support them.  They abandoned
the use of Ada becaue of poor support.

Case 3: I was in a meeting with a DoD software group and suggested that
Ada would be more appropriate as a langauge choice than the one selected.
"Oh," replied the chief technologist, "The DoD has abandoned Ada."  He
added that they really did not have anyone on board who was ready to do
any Ada programming.

I could cite more examples, but the lack of trained Ada personnel is having
a big impact on the decision to use the language.  Any help at all in
fixing this is appreciated.

Richard Riehle