Alan and Carmel Brain <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 00:33:29 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pascal Obry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Elaboration of Java vs Ada Pro/Con

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>  > The same example shows the extensive technical support for Java that is
>  > available to overcome these difficulties, and should make all readers
on
>  > this list ponder the fact that there's no Ada equivalent.
>
>  > (Typical example: How to parse XML into Ada,
>
> With the XMLAda library (SAX + DOM).

Right. Wouldn't it be nice to have a set of technical tips available, 1)
advertising the existence of same, 2) saying how/where to download it,
3) giving documentation and 4) some tips on how to use.

>  > How to generate HTML in Ada,
>
> This is just plain mistake and should never ever be done. This is the main
> problem with PHP, JSP, ASP...

A special case of generating XML from Ada - much the same as the above.
That is, if its HTML-4. For my sins, I've had to implement a system that
extracted data from an Oracle database, producing XML as the result
which was then fed into further downstream processes to give on-line HTML,
CD-Rom E-Publishing or paper products. It would have been nice if Ada
was an option (management was a clue-free zone, alas), but some help
would have been useful, as I'd never worked with XML before.

>  > How to implement a TCP/IP stack in Ada etc)
>
> Of course possible, but I don't see the point...

Because if I want to guard a billion-dollar business that is web-aware,
that does millions of dollars of business-to-business trade via secure web
pages,
I don't want to rely on any crappy first-to-market shoddy and insecure OS
that
is an open invitation to any half-competent hacker.  So why not go all the
way
and have a truly trustable system, one you can bet not just your last
dollar, but
your life on. Guess which language (though not perfect) is the best for
this?
.