Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:53:44 -0400
From:
Roger Racine <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
Last week there was a meeting of The Open Group's Real-Time & Embedded
Systems Forum, which works on software standards.  A lot of the work is in
the area of safety-critical software, and is focusing on Java as a
language.  The interesting thing from the Ada perspective is that many of
the people at the forum seemed (at least from the comments I listened to)
to be unhappy that they were not able to use Ada.  Ada is now banned by
some parts of the DoD.

I talked to a couple of people about this, and was told that companies that
wanted to use Ada were getting rejected by potential employees specifically
because of the use of Ada.  I asked if that is still occurring, or if it
was a few years ago when there were many fewer available people, but no one
knew the answer.  They basically said it was too late.

There were a couple people who actually did not like Ada, but it was more
that they had had bad experiences with specific compilers.

By the way, Ben Brosgol gave a quite good talk on lessons learned using Ada
for safety-critical applications and did point out that Ada is still alive
and being used on new projects.  The point I got out of the talk was "The
Ada community has solved the safety-critical problems.  Why waste time
fixing the same problems for Java?"  I think others might have gotten a
different point.  :(

Roger Racine

Roger Racine
Draper Laboratory, MS 31