From:
Simon Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:44:18 +0100
> From: "Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>

[someone asked ...]

> > Hello again everyone,
> >
> > I am trying to decide between to different designs that will
> > accomplish the same task.  And I was just wondering if it was
> > possible (or even recommended) to do.
> >
> > Here's the situation via an example:
> >
> > - I wish to have a wrapper object that will manage a linked list
> > - of data.

From the Booch Components point of view, the question is what profile
the container needs (I mean, what operations you need on it). Most
times a plain Container will do.

> Protected type around a list (any old list will do).
> Booch probably already has a protected type queue.

Well, the latest release has a Guarded mixin, which implements an open
access protocol (the user has the responsibility to Seize and then
Release the Container). Note, this mixin will not work with BC Lists,
which are way more complicated than most people need. And it needs
GNAT 3.13.

> > In essense, I'm assuming I can do this be either declaring 3 dlls
> > for each of those objects plus the dll for the wrapper object with
> > the linked list making the methods open to the outside world.

I would be very surprised to find that DLLs on their own give you any
sort of concurrency protection?