From:
Hal Hart - ACM SIGAda Chair on his last day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:23:19 -0700
------- Begin Forwarded Message

From: Monique Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 1997 SIGAda Election Results
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 97 13:04:00 PDT

Dear Hal,

The results of the 1997 SIGAda election are as follows:

Chair:  Benjamin Brosgol
~~~~
Vice for Meetings and Conferences:  Currie Colket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vice Chair for Liaision:  S. Ron Oliver
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Secretary:  John W. McCormick
~~~~~~~
Treasurer:  Bard Crawford
~~~~~~~
International Representative:  Karlotto Mangold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------- End of Forwarded Message

HAL HART ADDS:

On behalf of SIGAda Nominations Committee Chair (and Past SIGAda Chair)
Mark Gerhardt, myself, and everyone else in SIGAda, I congratulate
BEN, CURRIE, RON, JOHN, BARD, and KARLOTTO!!  I also thank all 6 of
their opponents (Harry, David, Steve, Terry, Chad, and Jean-Pierre)
for their strong candidacies, past contributions to SIGAda and Ada,
and what I assume will be their continued contributions!!

The new officers take office TOMORROW (July 1) and serve 2-year terms,
until 99 June 30.  (SIGAda's bylaws provide for the immediate Past Chair
to be a 7th voting member of the SIGAda Executive Committee (EC), so I
will still be hanging around on some official capacity for at least two
more years.)

All the new officers have been active and visible in the Ada community
for years, and all have made significant contributions in varying ways
to SIGAda's activities.  With the exception of new Chair Ben Brosgol,
all are first-time officers of SIGAda.  Ben was an original member of
the AdaTEC (a subunit of SIGPLAN) EC 1981-1984 and served continuously
on the AdaTEC/SIGAda EC for our first 12 years -- as the first elected
SIGAda Vice Chair for Meetings and Conferences 1984-1987, the second
Chair of SIGAda 1987-1989, and the Past Chair 1989-1993; he has served
as Chair of the SIGAda Commercial Ada Users Working Group (CAUWG)
since then.  With the many complementary experiences the other new
officers bring, I am confident SIGAda will be in very good hands in
the next term!

I offer Ben [and other new officers?] to post to these lists as way of
"introduction" any messages concerning their visions, objectives,
plans, etc. for SIGAda's next 2 years -- perhaps just a capsule of
their candidate statements.  (In particular, I will be interested in
Ben's present view of the desireability and possibily of bringing
SIGAda "full circle to something akin to our 1981 status in ACM" as
suggested in his statement in the election materials.)

I will strongly support directions decided by the new SIGAda EC, and
hope and believe that SIGAda can continue to play its unique role as
an organized entity in the Ada community serving purposes of technical
exchange, professionalism, education, user (& vendor) community
interactions, Ada advocacy, etc.

Because I am not "going away" yet, I will defer writing my own
goodbye-and-thanks message.  You will be continuing to hear from me on
these lists.  For now, the emphasis is on an expeditious transition to
the new SIGAda EC.  To assist this purpose, 5 of us new EC members,
5 of their opponents, and another 6 or so SIGAda members conducted a
too-short Long-Range Planning and officer-transition meeting a week
ago in DC; notes from that meeting will be shared with all members
of the SIGAda Extended EC (EEC) as soon as I and the several who
served as secretary at that meeting can enter our notes.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS to Ben, Currie, Ron, John, Bard, and Karlotto!!!

        -- Hal