From:
Al Christians <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al Christians <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 20:40:41 -0800
Out here in Portland, OR, there has frequently over the past
few years been an Ada job listed on dice.com at $13-$15/hour.
This is the only local Ada job that I recall seeing posted
on the major job search sites, and the $13-15 figure was
listed through the period of the dotcom boom, when virtually
no other programming job on dice, monster, or headhunter was
below $40/hour, and $50-$75 was pretty typical.  Now that the
market has cooled somewhat, the $15/hour is not unspeakably
low (I have seen an ad for an experienced systems analyst at
$18/hour, for example),  but the Ada job has not been listed
recently, and I think that the employer that was previously
soliciting Ada help has been recently sought knowledge of
other languages instead.

But these things are hard to predict. Tcl, Perl, and Smalltalk
have all been in high demand hereabouts in the past five to
ten years, but there are no longer many postings for skill in
any of those languages either.

Al