From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:48:40 -0500
[Hal Hart wrote]

> AdaWorks wrote:
>
> > Interesting comments from Ben on DC Metro.  It reminds me that
> > there was talk earlier this year about Ada for the New York
> > transit system.  Did anything ever come out of that?
>
> I actually met the contractor doing that NYC subway extension at
> the SEI Symposium
> in September.  He played dumb with me as I was talking about the
> several subway systems around the world going in Ada and that we
> were pretty sure at least the "design" of the new NY system was
> being done in Ada.  Then he admitted his company
> was the contractor and confirmed Ada was still the PL.  I was
> too slow on the uptake to get his card or remember his name.
> Someone must know how to track this
> contractor down; they may be reluctant to talk or be publicized
> until the work's done, but then...   -hh

I am now hot on the trail of this.

I got a tip this afternoon from a friend close to the project
that the Canarsie Line contract was awarded and that the French
contractor won it, meaning the Paris software is coming to NY.
That means "Ada Inside."

As it happens, I'll be in New York early next week and I think
I've found someone at the Transit Authority who will have at
least something to say about the contract, maybe a press release
or whatever. I'll try to get something we can put on the net.

Stay tuned - I'll write back to the list next week. Wish me luck.:-)

Meanwhile, if you haven't done so, have a look at the "success story"
piece on the Paris Metro, which briefly describes the system.

BTW, the Paris Transport Authority (RATP in French) has an terrific
website devoted to the new automated line. It's lay-oriented, so no
deep technical stuff, but it's a great overview. They are VERY
proud of this automated line, and (given the Ada Inside aspect of the
software) we all should be. The URL for the English site is

http://www.ratp.fr/index.eng.html

Then click on Line 14 (Meteor)

Their frames seem to be set up so I couldn't get the Line 14 URL
directly, but this is a good start.

I'll be in Paris later this month, so I'll ride Line 14 and
give you a report.

Cheers -

Mike Feldman