From:
John Apa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:46:49 -0600
With regard to:

1) The same is true of many of the textbook examples (with or without
solutions) that I experienced during my college days. Perhaps the market for
textbooks would increase to include more people in industry if fewer books
required errata websites and downloads. Even the books required for my MBA
are ripe with silly errors. Perhaps publishers/authors shouldn't follow
NASA's faster, cheaper development model.

2) Reviews and verification are vital parts of writing any software product,
no matter how small.

Earlier comments) People in industry are no more likely to reveal the
solutions in textbooks to students than professors are. In fact, every time
a professor gives a student a 100% on an assignment he just gave out one of
the solutions. Certainly this happens far more often than someone getting to
much help on the internet. Let's face it, students are resourceful and if
they want the solution they'll get it. They get what they deserve if they
just copy it, but if they have to see something from a different angle they
may just learn something. To many of my profs ran through examples in class
skipping steps, and leaving us behind so they could attend their
tenure/budgeting meetings. In order to see how to solve some problems we
went to the campus database (yes, it exists. reports, problems, tests, you
name it) and pulled up the solutions. We then studied those along with the
notes&book to learn what it was that our profs were supposed to be
presenting. Some of my profs were very values added, but sadly they were in
the minority. In the long run it's really up to the student to learn or not.

Sometimes I get very frustrated with academia's ivory tower attitude about
teaching, especially when I see the lack of understanding in so many of the
new grads.

My $0.02...
With that I believe it's time to call it a week and have a quiet Easter
weekend.