Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 19:39:22 +1000
From:
Dale Stanbrough <[log in to unmask]>
At 8:42 PM -0600 8/4/98, Hassett wrote:
>On a mailing list concerned with another programming language (but not a
>very well-known one*), the following comment appeared today:
>
>> If you want to see a really slow compiler I suggest
>> you try using ADA (yuk!) if you haven't already.
>
>I suspect this may be based on not-very-current experience, and I would
>like to provide some solid evidence that Ada compilers need not be slow.
>
>Can anyone provide or point to any data that might be useful for this
>purpose?  I didn't find anything during a brief check of the major Ada
>web sites, but I'll do some more searching.

all the numbers in the world won't convince people like this. Have a bit of
a dig
at him, and ask him when he last used Ada, and on what platform. Invite him to
run his own Clean compiler on the same hardware, and see how fast it runs.

Tell him that (Gnat at least) runs at what must be around tens of thousands
of lines
a minute (sounds close enough! :-).
Tell him that that includes date stamp (version) checking, type checking,
automatic
make facility etc.

End up with repeating how out of date his knowledge is, and that people can get
free downloads of ada compiles if they want to _really_ find out for
themselves.

Dale