From:
Gene Ouye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:08:50 -0700
Paul D. Stachour:
[...]
>As for ignorance, I recently took a class in "object-oriented testing"
>by an individual who has a good reputation for knowing what OO testing
>is all about.  A good part of his presentation was in what circumstances,
>and how to write readable, maintainable, efficient assertions for ensuring
>the correctness of an object abstraction.  He did *not* know that Ada
>already does, in the language, checking for all of the assertions
>in the first 1/2 of his examples.  Nor that it does 7 of the 11 in the
>second set of examples.

Do you still have the examples?  Could you post them here?

>Yes, I too have found diffculty in communicating with libraies/
>components/abstractions/Operating Systems that think that
>"all the world's an int".  It is a royal pain to have a
>really good abstraction, and not be able to use it due to the
>low-level od the library calls.
>
>I also felt / fell this way about calls to the OS in every langugae
>on every OS I've ever used (except Multics and PL/I, where OS calls
>were subroutine calls with the full power of the programming language).

You should have seen me when I started learning UNIX to support Apex after
having spent several years working with the R1000, where the OS was Ada, and
there was no command-line, rather, there was a "command window" which was an
Ada declare block--no JCL, no shell scripts, no .BAT files, just 100% Ada!
Boy was I disappointed...

Gene Ouye <[log in to unmask]>