From:
Norman H Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norman H Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:19:45 -0500
<<Hmm.  Java support.  And we generate J-Code (well, our Intermetrics Ada-Magic
front end does).  Is there a match here?  I know little or nothing about the
Palm Pilot.>>

The Palm Pilot does not have a JVM, although one exhibitor at JavaOne
demonstrated an alpha prototype of a JVM running a Go game on the Pilot.  The
Java compiler for the Pilot generates native code for the Motorola chip
inside.  It does not generate Java byte codes, so there's no match with your
compiler.

The point of the Java-to-native-code compiler is to provide Palm Pilot
programmers with a palatable alternative to coding in C or C++.  An
Ada-to-native-code compiler could fill a similar role.

-- Norman Cohen