Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:40:50 -0700
At 12:44 PM 2/2/01 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:

> > Sun had people working the Java project who knew about these serious
> > problems, yet virtually nothing was done about them.
>
>This has to do with how Java _really_ originated.
>
>I'm not making this up: One of Sun's Java champions said this in a
>thirty-minute info-mercial I watched when I was part of Jersey Shore
>SIG-Ada. . . .

Interesting story.  I didn't know there was a video on it.  But I know
people who were involved in that early work, and they told me essentially
the same thing.  One person, in particular, who shall remain nameless, had
done his graduate work in programming languages.  He pushed, without
success, to have some modern language features considered.  Soon after that
he left Sun.  He would never come right out and tell me whether that was
his personal decision, or whether he was pressured to leave.  I rather
suspect it was a little of both.

sro
S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

Tired of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.