From:
Matthew Heaney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Heaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:11:52 GMT
> Having heard rumors of a GNAT for LinuxPPC, I surfed a bit and
> turned up
>
> http://www.linuxppc.org/RPMS/linuxppc/gcc-ada-2.7.2-2O.ppc.html
>
> Looking at the directory of this distribution reveals something
> that does, indeed, look like a GNAT distribution.
>
> Anyone know the story on this?

Yes: I'm using it.  Works great!  The only issue is that it's Gnat
v3.09.

I tried a couple of times to build v3.10p from sources, but I'm new at
that sort of thing, and couldn't get the build to finish.

The problem I have is that the linuxppc guys patched gcc, and the ACT
guys patched gcc too.  So I have two sets of patches to the same code
base.  I've tried applying the patches in different orders.  Tried not
applying some of the patches.  Nothing I tried worked.

I know ACT only guarantees that you can build gnat from sources using
the most recent version of gnat.  With Gnat v3.11 coming up, there is a
real need to get v3.10p going on LinuxPPC.

If you know how to port Gnat v3.10 to LinuxPPC, then let me know!  I
would be grateful for any help you or anyone else can offer.

The linuxppc guys are busy working on the next release (corresponding to
red-hat v5.0).  If we get gnat v3.10p ported, then maybe we can make
sure it gets included on the CD release.

I've included below the text of the message from Gary Thomas.  He told
me where the source rpm is located.  That SRPMS includes the sources for
both gcc-2.7.2 and gnat-3.09.  (You'll have to download sources for gnat
v3.10p directly from the NYU ftp site.)

LinuxPPC is really nice.  And the CD-ROM is only US$32 - a real
bargain.  There's ordering info at the web site.

<http://www.linuxppc.org/>

Matt

(start of message)
On 01-Jun-98 Matthew Heaney wrote:
> Gary:
>
> I was poking around the linuxppc.org website, and could only find the
> source package gcc-2.8.0.src.rpm.  I am in need of the source package for
> gcc-2.7.2.1, that includes the linux ppc source patches.
>
> Here is my problem.  The version of Gnat (the gcc Ada compiler) that
> comes with the Valentine's Day CD is version 3.09.  I'd like to build the
> next version of gnat (3.10p), but I need the sources for gcc-2.7.2.1 to
> do it.  (Gnat 3.10p includes source patches of its own, that patch
> gcc-2.7.2.1.)
>
> I downloaded the gcc-2.7.2.1 sources from the gnu ftp site, but I still
> need the patches you guys used to build the gcc executable included on
> the CD ROM.
>
> The sources for gcc don't seem to be on the CD-ROM.  The sources for
> gcc-2.8.0 are available from the linuxppc website, but not the sources
> (patches) for gcc-2.7.2.1.

You'll find the most recent version at:

ftp://ftp/linuxppc.org/devel/gary/redhat.old_versions/SRPMS/gcc-2.7.2-2O.src.rp

Note: this package contains *major* patches to GCC-2.7.2 which bring it
very nearly up to GCC-2.8.0

Good luck,

Gary Thomas                              |
The Open Group / Research Institute      | "Fine wine is a necessity of
2 Avenue de Vignate                      |        life for me"
38610 Gieres - FRANCE                    |
+33 4 76 63 48 74                        |      Thomas Jefferson
email: [log in to unmask]            |
<http://www.opengroup.org/~gdt>          |
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |
       and no one else would claim them! |