Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:39:36 +0000
>> The Ada compiler vendors have done their primary jobs in my view,
>> namely producing quality compilers, and at least some of them
>> have figured out how to create a sales force that knows how to sell
>> them and make money in the process.

>They have an interest in selling to those who they know want to buy.

I would agree with this statement. I don't believe I have ever seen any
marketing for an Ada compiler other than that which I have explicitly tried to
find through the Internet.

Admittedly the validated compilers list was very useful to me when I was looking
for compilers for a specific target (mainly Mil-Std-1750A - whatever happened to
TLD :-), but first I had to find out that such information could be acquired
from somewhere, and then I had to find out where to get it.

In contrast, for the C language, I have seen advertisements C compilers in the
classified sections of magazines, not only trade and professional magazines, but
ordinary, off-the-shelf PC magazines.

As far as Team-Ada goes, while advocating Ada, it is certainly not our place to
consider placing ads for compilers in the press, that is the job of the compiler
vendors.

I know of many people who have heard of Ada but:

1) Have never seen it
2) Wouldn't have the faintest idea which companies produce compilers
3) Don't know that GNAT can be got free of charge.

John