Robin Reagan <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:11:26 -0600
I think the default "Meta" key on a standard PC keyboard maps to the "alt" key.
The "Meta" key that I have seen on Sun keyboards is a diamond shaped icon
and is not
actually labeled "Meta" and is also right next to the space bar.

When I map a key sequence like
(define-key global-map [M-delete] 'undo)
in my .emacs file it maps to the "alt" key.

At 12:13 PM 7/24/00 +0000, you wrote:
>If you don't have a specific Meta key (which is highly likely - in 10 years or
>so of using Emacs on various systems, I have never seen a key labelled Meta!),
>you can use Esc instead. On a PC this is the Esc key, and presumably the
>same on
>the DEC keyboard. The difference between using Meta and Esc is that you would
>need to hold down the Meta key and press the other key to get the sequence,
>whereas you press and release Esc before pressing the other key for the key
>sequence.
>
>Hope this helps (although it may be I am not actually answering the
>question!).
>
>John

Robin Reagan
[log in to unmask]       http://www.reagans.org/