From:
"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:36:35 -0500
> I have often thought that if the military had waited for a year or two
> to mandate the language that it would have had a better chance in the
> commercial market place.  One will never know if this is true but it is

I'm inclined to think it's not true.  I was not in the defense business
when Ada came out.  The first thing I noticed about Ada (without knowing
what was in it) was that the language was "so big" that companies were
selling compilers for _subsets_ of Ada.  I don't know if this is the case,
but I had the impression that a compiler for the "whole thing" would not
fit in the memory of the typical PC of those days.

We are fond of saying (or at least hoping) that the new DoD policy of
requiring a sensible choice of languages will result in Ada being chosen.
But back then, the empirical evidence that Ada is superior did not exist.
I think almost no one would have chosen Ada back then unless forced to.