From:
Steven Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:26:03 -0700
Than'x everyone for the useful and possible solutions to my problem... the
suggestions led me to ask Rational about the issue and it was finally
resolved.

Apparently, Rational Apex Ada (the IDE and compiler I use) DO initialize my
array of record type... taking a snippet of some literature (from Rational's
Tech Support)

<snip>
The Apex Ada 95 compiler generates default (implicit) initialization for
certain RECORD objects or components and all access type objects or
components - it doesn't do this for scalars or arrays (unless their
components need it or possibly if its elements are not an integral number of
bytes long). Apex Ada 95 also performs implicit initialization when a record
is tagged or has access type components (as required by RM95) or if it
contains dynamically sized components or a discriminant. This may either be
a partial initialization of just the components that require it or (often)
the entire record. Apex Ada 95 may also initialize records that have a
significant number of unused storage gaps within their layouts in order to
speed up record comparisons. The hueristics that determine when and how the
implicit initialization occurs are complex and change from release to
release of Apex.
</snip>

The problem was resolved by avoiding the use of an array of records... duh!

Than'x again for everybody's help and time!

Steven