From:
Colin Paul Gloster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:56:31 -0500
Dale Stanbrough said:
"step # 1 is to build on the work of others. The C/C++ report (or is
it "C/C++ Journal"?) had an article a couple of years back on the
internationalisation of the C libraries, which included some date
stuff as well.

I think we should learn from their stuff before recreating all their
thinking, and perhaps even making  mistakes they they recognised and
avoided."

I do not believe that I am necessarily familiar with the article you
remember. "C++ Report" from SIGS was discontinued (or supposedly absorbed
into sister "Journal of Object-Oriented Programming" but most of
its writers moved to "CUJ") in August 2000. Rival "C/C++ User's
Journal" ("CUJ") is currently owned by CMP Media which bought it and
sisters off Miller Freeman circa Spring 2000; inheriter of M & T
properties probably in the early/mid-1990s. Before being "C/C++ User's
Journal" it was "C User's Journal" (hence still called "CUJ").

"CUJ" has a very well priced CD of about a decade of its most recent
articles.

Certainly capitialising on the explorations of others is a reasonable
approach. With regards to "some date stuff" as an issue for C libraries,
more recently than you are probably thinking there was a blunder with the
new C Standard C99 (as opposed to the exStandard C89 and the only
Standard C++). Serious incompatibilities with POSIX for time formats were
discovered before the publication of C99 but after the Final Draft
Internatonal Standard had been passed (and therefore immutable under the
rules until it was published as an International Standard at which point
defects could officially be tackled in revisions).

If Peter Hermann can track down a copy of "Calendrical Calculations" he
may find a lot of useful things in there he does not have already. He
might not.

Good luck,
Colin Paul Gloster

This signature file is included in protest against the hosting of Nazi
facist propaganda "Mein Kampf" written by Adolf Hitler on the Dublin City
University Networking Society ([log in to unmask], DCU Networking
Society, c/o Clubs and Socs Office, The Hub, DCU, Glasnevin, Dublin 9,
Ireland) website at HTTP://WWW.RedBrick.DCU.Ie/~mellow/Adolf/ by
R. O'Brien whose username is mellow. On 22nd March 2001 Dublin City
University webmaster Niall O'Leary ([log in to unmask], +353-1-700 5864,
Room C203, Computer Services Department, Henry Grattan Building, DCU,
Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland) authorised "Mein Kampf" to be on the
Internet via DCU and HEAnet ([log in to unmask], +353-1-6623412, HEAnet Ltd.,
Ground Floor, Marine House, Clanwilliam Court, Dublin 2,
Ireland) resources. Please also complain to The President's Office, DCU,
Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland, [log in to unmask]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Dale Stanbrough wrote:
"At 10:12 AM +0100 22/3/01, Peter Hermann wrote:
>Long time ago....    ;-)
>I rolled my own additional calenday package and use it since years:
>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/adapilotresources/basic_tools/calenday.ads
>The current discussion triggered my mind to go to brush up my
>calendar/date/time-related tools with new useful ideas.
>GNAT.calendar is of course a fine starting point for everyone
>but I generally prefer using fully portable independent software.
>In order to make my private stuff possibly eligible for public use
>(e.g. potential contribution for GNAT), I ask you all to
>send me recommendations, ideas, and even suggestions
>for change of spec, etc., related to date and time calculations
>and their string representations.
>keywords:
>locale adjustment, pattern, genericity, flexibility, usefulness,
>open software.
>
>gathering ideas...
>
>--
>Peter Hermann Tel+49-711-685-3611 Fax3758 [log in to unmask]
>Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen
>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/
>Team Ada: "C'mon people let the world begin" (Paul McCartney)

step # 1 is to build on the work of others. The C/C++ report (or is
it "C/C++ Journal"?) had an article a couple of years back on the
internationalisation of the C libraries, which included some date
stuff as well.

I think we should learn from their stuff before recreating all their
thinking, and perhaps even making  mistakes they they recognised and
avoided.

Dale"