Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:05:51 -0500
From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Hi -

> > I am quite curious as to _why_ Aonix would attempt to use
> > an attachment rather than straight text.  While the Aonix
> > web site had some sort of a fancy graphic logo the last time
> > I looked, it added absolutely nothing to my compiler-buying
> > experience.
>
> The only reason it was an attachment, was that it was a copy of an html file.
> Thus attaching it seemed simpler.

Better to just send a URL, if it was an HTML file. Then readers could
browse to the file online.

> I think restricting attachments, so that even ".txt" files can not be sent is
> overly pessimistic.  It is annoying to have to cut and past text files just to
> send an e-mail, but I guess that's what I would have to do.

As the manager of a number of lists, I know only too well the limitations
of listserv-type software. Generally the option to accept or reject
attachments is all-or-nothing.

I agree that in a list with several hundred members, devoted to advocacy
discussions and not file exchange, it is quite reasonable to reject
attachments. This is better from a security standpoint, and also it
avoids capacity problems because writers aren't tempted to send multi-mb
attachments around.

Finally, there are actually segments of this community that are not
Windoze-based, and have used e-mail since many in the Windoze community
were in diapers. Many UNIX-based mail clients do not handle attachments,
and rightly so, IMHO. The attachment craze has gone a bit far, I think.

Mike Feldman