From:
David Botton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:15:13 -0700
No it goes more like this in the commercial
(non-gov't) world thanks to the MS marketing machine:

I have 13,000 employees. 6,000 Win9x or NT
workstations, what good is Ada for me it doesn't work
well with Windows.

or

Upper management has decided to switch to NT, do it.
Yes, I know they don't understand what they are doing,
but that's life.

or

Ada's not powerful enough to create GUIs on NT

or

We are switching today from Ada to C++ since it better
supports Windows

I can keep going on.

The commmercial world doesn't run on logic, they run
on marketing.

I am not concerned about browser wars that have
already been lost, but to popularity of Ada and I can
think of no way better then to ride a wave of
marketing money bigger then some countries gross
national product.

The fact is that if you run Windows you will be
running IE and if you don't understand why yet, you
will the next time you try to install anything new
from Microsoft.

I am talking about embedding IE's HTML rendering
engine in to an Ada application and hiding the fact
that IE is there at all. Something that a large number
of Win32 programs already do and Ada Win32 programs
will need to do now and in the future.

Just like MS added APIs for HTML Dialogs, expect that
more and more APIs will start relying on the internal
COM objects of IE.

If you want to say you support NT and 9X today, you
support IE.

You would be proud to see a shrink wrapped Win32
application created in Ada on the shelves of CompUSA.

I know you would.

David Botton

--- "W. Wesley Groleau x4923"