From:
"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kester, Rush W.
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:32:36 -0400

The Ada community is too small to run in every race.  Do you call
a runner who saves their energy by not entering every race in order
to have a sporting chance to win some races a "never ran?"

> it seems to me that there are a couple of reasons for this:
>   1. isolation of the community and intolerance of some thrusts
>      (like Microsoft)
>   2. lack of collaboration - members of our community are not
>      seeking collaborations and others are not seeking
>      collaborations with us (probably perceiving a lack
>      of value-added)

If you look for collaboration you will find it.  For example
GNAT, GtkAda, Linux Ada are all collaborative efforts.  The AdaPower
website hosts a number of Microsoft collaborative efforts.

It's true that there is not a very large Ada presence in the
Microsoft community.  However, it is not for lack of trying on
the Ada community side.  I know of several companies who have
attempted to form partnerships with Microsoft only be be ignored
or told they were too insignificant to warrant Microsoft't time
and attention.

I think you're being unfair to the Ada community by implying it's
in the "never ran" category simply because we haven't yet succeeded
in having a significant presence in the Micro$oft camp.  There are
many who wish you "good luck" in your efforts in this direction.

But, PLEASE don't let your frustrations in the low number of
individuals willing join you in the charge, blind you to the hard
work and valuable contributions of those in the Ada community
who chose other battles.

> A common theme behind these new killer apps is collaboration and
> integration between software vendors, hardware vendors, and
> customers.
> Teaming on all three sides to make products that everyone wants.
> The focus is not on software alone, but on meeting business goals
> and customer needs, and software fits in as an element of a common
> infrastructure.  Another change is that businesses are starting to
> figure out who their competitors really are ... if Union Pacific
> Railroad had figured out that it was in the transportation business
> instead of the railroad business, we'd have Union Pacific Airlines
> today.
>
> So, what business is the Ada community in?  Perhaps we should think
> of ourselves as solution providers or infrastructure elements.  It
> could change the way we move and grow.

IMO, The Ada community is in the business of providing reliable software
engineered systems for those who need or want them.

> Rick
> Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
> Reuse Tapestry

Rush Kester