From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Ron Oliver
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:34:03 -0600
I have been following this thread with interest.

I believe David's original point that many of the "arguments" for using VB,
Delphi, etc., and thus for NOT using Ada, are completely
invalidated.  (Actually, I think they have been for a long time, but the
work David and others have done recently makes this so clear even a C
programmer will probably understand.  :)

There is one key ingredient remaining, however, to get people to use these
wonderful tools (and Ada) -  getting the word out.  Remember, best kept
secrets . . .

More importantly, the BEST way to "get the word out" is to put together
good training courses and get them presented in a forum where practicing
and would be "programmers" can readily take advantage of them.  I don't
have any figures, but I suspect that a fairly high percentage of these
practicing "programmers" would never have "cut a line of code", if they
hadn't been able to attend a training session that showed them how easy it
is to do so much by imitating some good examples.

Just my 2 cents worth.

sro
S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.