Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Philip Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:44:36 -0600
James Squire wrote:

> Stanley Allen <[log in to unmask]> 02/05/98 09:48pm wrote:
>
> I just talked to someone a week ago who is involved in an Ada project on
> Solaris that is
> moving to a PC environment and doing a study to determine whether they
> should switch to C++ or not.  He told me that he thinks that Ada is
> clearly the best language, but feels they should switch to C++ because
> there aren't enough Ada programmers available (they have a bit of a
> turnaround).

I have been working on a Window NT-based project for a number of months
now.  I selected Ada before anyone specified any language requirements.
After several months the COTR mentioned that they didn't want any weird
languages such as Ada or LISP, juct C or C++.  I told them that there was a
significant number of  hours spent writing base code in Ada and if they
insisted I would rewrite the Ada-based code in C or C++ but they had to pay
for the time spent plus the rewrite time.   The project has progressed
nicely in Ada.

> IMO, this "I can't make a career in Ada" excuse really means "I am
> personally prejudiced against Ada because it *makes* me use good
> programming practice, aned *that's* no fun.  If I *want* to use good
> programming practice, *that's* different."

The absolute, dumbest statement I have ever heard against using Ada was from
a C programmer whose standard coding style puts him into the "Obfuscated C
code" hall of fame.  He "WOULD NEVER" use Ada because it was "ugly".  I did
make it out of his office before laughing.

Phil Johnson
|          Ceilidh [Kay Lee] gaelic: A gathering of friends         |
|Philip Johnson                             Telco: (205) 830-9663   |
|Sr. Software Engineer                      email:[log in to unmask]
|Ceilidh Systems Inc.                                               |
|Madison, AL  35758                                                 |