Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:14:10 +0900
From:
Toshitaka KUMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Pascal Obry wrote in Re: Proposal : For-Loop Iteration for Real Type :

> Toshitaka KUMANO writes:
>  > I am an enthusiast for Ada over ten years. And feel very sad about
>  > the recent decline of Ada popularity...
>
> I'm also an Ada fan but I do not see this decline. I feel that Ada is doing
> really well and that more and more peoples are using it.
>
> What makes you feel this way ?

No new books. No stock of published books in bookstores.
No articles in general software magazine.

Especially no books of application domain, such as
"Networking Programming with Ada", "Numeric recipe with Ada",
"Embedded Programming with Ada",  or so.

If Ada has enough popularity or commercial interest, there should be
numerous books or articles, including *bogus* somewhat like copycat.

I also see various efforts, including you, Pascal, has been done.
I consider, however, the efforts get no popularity outside the Ada
community, so far.

I hope that GNAT included GCC distribution, and included Linux
distribution make some change here.
Especially the advent of "killer application" which needs GNAT
to be built with.

> Maybe that's a local (Japan) problem...

Maybe.

# In Japan, no Ada95 book. no stock for Ada83 book.
# I would like to write or translate some, it is doubt that
# publishers get interest.

Among my profession, software in defense system, the repeal of mandate
by DoD, is misunderstood, and indeed make bad effect on Ada in Japan.

# There WAS SigAda Japan, but now it is dissolved.

True or False, there is such an rumor in Japan that U.S. Navy
put an end to use Ada, and managers believe that.

Regards,
   Toshitaka KUMANO <[log in to unmask]>

   Defense Information Systems Department, KAMAKURA WORKS
   MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC CORPORATION