"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 08:31:26 -0800
From: Bob Leif
To: Geoff Bull et al.

Please see David A. Wheeler's CGI.Adb. It contains the following:
function getenv(Variable : chars_ptr) return chars_ptr;
  pragma Import(C, getenv);
  -- getenv is a standard C library function; see K&R 2, 1988, page 253.
  -- it returns a pointer to the first character; do NOT free its results.
I hope that the Ada compiler vendors will permit the use of Wheeler's CGI
library by including this function in their standard libraries. I have not
been able to find it in the ObjectAda libraries.

I should note that the user of an Ada compiler should not be required to use
subprograms which include C data types. It should be possible to function in
Ada without any knowledge of C or its relatives. Since most of us believe
that Ada is an excellent choice for the first course in software
engineering, a knowledge of C should and can not be a prerequisite for the
learning of Ada. I might note that for the students that I have taught in
chemistry,  biology, and even biomedical engineering; two semesters of Ada
combined with software engineering would be a great improvement over their
present curriculum and sufficient for their future work.

Ultimately, a standard library to interface with HTML-XML (Ada.XML_IO)
should be designed and implemented.

It should include something like
function getenv(Variable_Name : String) return String;