Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: John McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:52:08 -0500
This summer I am teaching a 4 week C++ course.  While I was initially
dreading it (I wanted to teach a course in concurrent programming), I have
now found some fun aspects to it.

It is a course for beginners with a full semester condensed into 4 weeks.
As you might imagine, anyone without a background in some other language
withdrew after the midterm.  We use Ada in our foundation courses so I
have a number of students in the class with Ada as their only experience
with a programming language.  Several of them are very vocal about what a
poor language C++ is.  Today we did arrays and they couldn't believe that
anyone would put up with a language where the index has to start at zero.
Students with C backgrounds cannot understand why they would want it any
other way.

John

John W. McCormick                [log in to unmask]
Computer Science Department      [log in to unmask]
University of Northern Iowa      voice  (319) 273-2618
Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0507      fax    (319) 273-7123