From:
Ben Brosgol <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Brosgol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:11:07 -0400
Although I don't have an answer, I think that TRW is asking the wrong
question.  The issue is not the number of XYZ Programmers (where
XYZ is Ada 95, C++, etc) but rather the number of people who
understand the principles of software engineering and who also
know XYZ.  I would suggest that although the sheer number of
C++ programmers is undoubtedly much higher than that of
Ada 95 programmers, if you filter the population so as to
focus on those who truly understand software construction,
then the numbers become closer.  It is far more likely
that an Ada 95 programmer will also have a good understanding
of software engineering, than a C++ programmer.  So although
it may be harder to find Ada 95 programmers, those whom
you do find will be more likely to succeed.

I would hope that TRW is also looking at language issues such as
standardization status, ability to interface with foreign code, etc.

Ben

----------
Sent:   Thursday, July 17, 1997 3:08 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]; Drew Hamilton; Susan Carlson - AdaIC; [log in to unmask]
Cc:     Ed Colbert -  Past SIGAda VC/Liaison & Ada Awareness Manager; Hal Hart
Subject:        # of Available Ada 95 Programmers??

Plz see msg below from Ed Colbert.  I can't tell if he is asking
about numbers of trained Ada 95 programmers industry-wide or just
TRW (I'll call our training director & get an answer for Ed,
which I think is close to 100 at TRW, altho only a small # are
actually using Ada 95 yet).

Anyone with any form of statistics industry-wide please reply to
just Ed & me with your data.  Or your educated guesses.  Does the
AJPO or AdaIC have some handle on this?  If we get credible numbers,
we'll post summary to all of you.

Thanks in advance for your help on this important opportunity!

        -- Hal (& Ed)