Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:10:31 GMT
I currently teach in Systems Programming Course for Year 2 Comp Sci
students (24 lectures and 12 labs).  For historical reasons I use C as
the programming language.

However in Year 1 the students learn Ada as their first language and
it would seem more appropriate to use Ada for the course as it would
free up time currently spent introducing the students to C and in
particular into the joys of C arrays and pointers.

Does anyone teach such a course and if so what packages do they recommend
for POSIX compliant (and/or UNIX) systems calls?  Are there any such good
public-domain  packages for use with gnat (on solaris)?  We might also
consider using commercial packages if the site-licensing fees were not
too exhorbitant.

   Alan Barnes
   Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
   Aston University
   Aston Triangle
   Birmingham B4 7ET
   U. K.