Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Terry Westley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:31:22 -0400
On Monday, July 06, 1998 4:42 PM, MCENANEY WILLIAM J [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> I don't know Tcl.  Is it a compiled language?  I doubt that my friend
> would want to supply interpreters to the people who'll run the progam.
> Thanks.

Tcl is an interpreted scripting language which also provides an API to
all its facilities.  You can use it as a pure scripting language,
as a pure API, or as a mix.  TASH is an Ada binding to the API.

It would probably be fun and a great challenge to make an Ada-like scripting
language.  Tcl is attractive to me for its powerful string and list handling
commands, associative arrays, and ability to glue together applications with
a common user interface.  However, I sorely miss strong typing.  However,
I suspect there wouldn't be much demand for an Ada scripting language.  There
are already too many scripting languages!

If you want to discuss Tcl more, let's take this to private email since that's
getting a little off-topic, then you can summarize your Ada regexp findings to
Team Ada.