Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:43:03 -0400
From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, Phil,

Visual C++ 6 IS the Microsoft standard for C++, just like Visual Basic 6
is also a Microsoft standard.  Now they are going to 7.  In one of the
larger
sessions, a survey was taken of languages used by the attendees, and there
was an obvious distinction between Visual C++ and C++, but then everyone
knows that.

Like all of us, Microsoft has a history to live with.  The standards
that they talked about at the conference in the sessions I attended
were things like XML 1.0, Posix .1, Posix .2, and System V UNIX.
As David pointed out in an earlier email, it sounds like they think
of supersets when they speak of standards.

From what exposure I've had to them, they do seem to be sending
representatives
to many of the standards activities (IEEE, ISO, W3C).  But they are also
into
developing their own (VB6, VB7, etc.).  Reminds me a little of DEC Ada
versus
Verdix Ada versus Alsys Ada (I'm thinking of the Ada83 days) ... remember
how
many Command Line Interface approaches we had then?

Rick
Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
Reuse Tapestry

From: "Richard Conn" <[log in to unmask]>