Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:24:12 -0500
From: Doug Smith <[log in to unmask]>
At 10:50 AM -0500 12/15/98, Jeff Burns wrote:
[snip]
>I just read an interesting article that said the best marketing
>campaigns answer customers' questions in the order they ask them until
>all their questions have been answered satisfactorily.  This is a
>process that removes barriers to sale.
[snip]

There are many excellent suggestions in this thread. As an engineer
I live with trade-offs. As a consumer, trade-offs confuse or
frustrate me. So when a product comes along which answers the
mail in all points, I'm ready to buy.

So a recent article about successful major promotions made a great
deal of sense. Make a new market from contradictions: A luxury-economy
sports car; A conservative-liberal (i.e. moderate) politician;
A non-fat/no-sugar gourmet dessert.

Wherever contradictions occur, create a product which resolves the
conflict.

Of course, I am not advocating deceit. Conservative promises and
liberal voting is hypocrisy. An inexpensive car which falls apart
is likely a false economy. That dessert which proves fatal does
stop weight gain...but I'll pass.

So the question is, what trade-offs are developers/businesses making
today which they don't need to make? Does Ada address these?

  Rapid prototype (time to market) versus Quality and Maintainability.
  Powerful development environment versus Cost per Seat.
  Language Conversion and Training Costs versus ???

The ARA is the most likely organization to identify the
significant factors driving the decision makers. Then they
must identify where Ada eliminates a trade-off and creates the
market. This thread has already mentioned several which might
be considered, maybe we can identify a good starting point:

  Safe and Easy-to-Use
  Powerful and Low-cost
  Standard and Well-supported

And as this and other posts suggested, these need to be a series
of advertisements. Consider the recent iMac commercials, each
addressing another selling point -- I'd say the marketing of
the iMac might be considered a success!

Doug