"(No Name Available)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 00:22:51 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Different language, different CPU family, different benchmark, ...  The
>only thing in common was the loose nut on the keyboard....

Also a different CPU generation and a different compiler generation.

I don't know much about Sun machines, but I though Ultra2 was recent.
The latest _VAX_ desktop has about 7 times the compute power of the
8650 cited.  The latest Alpha workstation is perhaps 100 times more
powerful than that.  Of course you can't run that version of DEC Ada
on an Alpha, because that version was obsolete before Alpha was out,
which also happens to be before DEC Ada added smart recompilation on
VAX and Alpha.  We are talking about some _seriously_old_ stuff here.

Yeah, I read the stuff about the poor fellow not having access to a
VAX, but if that is the case he ought to leave it out of the article.

Larry Kilgallen