Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:20:35 -0500
From:
Paul Stachour <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Ada Community friends and colleagues:

As you know, we will be having the SIGAda 2001 Conference from
September 30th through October 4th at the Thunderbird Hotel in
Bloomington, Minnesota.  We have an excellent program which represents
excellent opportunities for folks to enhance their professional goals. Since
you are members of the Ada community, I know you already realize this.

What I hope you can do is to contact your friends and let them know
about the conference. Many of your friends have already received a
conference Advance Program and simply need a little nudge to actually
sign up for the conference. You need to emphasize the value of
attending the conference for not only the conference, tutorials, and
workshops, but also the opportunity to network and interface with Ada
and software engineering professionals. We do have a powerful lineup,
which should be of benefit to a large number of those developing
software. The SIGAda Conference actually brings together people
addressing real issues for developing real-time distributed software
that has significant reliability and high-integrity requirements. This
is one of the very few conferences where you can find this expertise.

This is a great time to contact all your friends and let them know
about the conference. Tell them about the Advance Program (AP) they
can get at:

 http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/SA2001AP.html

Also tell them about the about the conference web site at:

 http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/

which contains abstracts for all the papers and all the information
one needs to plan to come to the conference.

We need to be upbeat about the conference. We really do have an
excellent program which represents excellent opportunities for folks
to enhance their professional goals. We need to emphasize this.

Send emails out to your friends and colleagues.  You may choose to
adapt the attached electronic blub, or to attach a specialized
promotion. We have specialized (pdf) promotions for Software
Engineers; Computing Faculty; Computing Students; Professional
Computing Organizations such as ACM chapters, IEEE groups, etc.; and
Contracting Companies (Personnel Agencies).  There is also a
specialized promotion for the Tuesday Dinner; others are in
preparation.  We would be happy to send these to you for your use in
email promotions, or send snail-mail copies when you can send me
addresses. Direct such requests to Bruce White at

If you need any additional APs, please let Mark Glewwe know.  His
email address is <[log in to unmask]>. He can get them to folks
right away.

This is a good time to send stuff to folks in an organization. It is
still early enough to get folks to come to the conference, specially
if they have already seen advertisements and need that little nudge to
sign up. Your interface with them could be the one that entices them
to make that commitment. Please try to do it this week.

If you know of any address to which you would like me to send a
personal letter and some APs, please let me know (and please provide
the address).  I will send a personal letter with APs to any address
you can provide me by this weekend. Please send the request to me at
[log in to unmask] with a copy to

Thank you in advance for all your help!

v/r
Paul Stachour
SIGAda 2001 Conference Chair

SIGAda 2001 Electronic Announcement:

                         ACM SIGAda 2001
                  Annual International Conference
                  on the Ada Programming Language

             Thunderbird Hotel, Bloomington, Minnesota
               September 30 through October 4, 2001

           http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001

             Tutorials September 30 and October 1
                   Conference October 2-4
           Exhibits October 2-3,  Workshops Throughout

      *** Early Registration deadline is September 4th! ***

Learn from the world's top Ada technologists why Ada is the language
of choice worldwide for the most important safety-critical and
high-reliability systems.

SIGAda 2001 is your only opportunity in the U.S. this year to learn
the latest developments about Ada and related technologies, from the
world's leading Ada practitioners, researchers, and educators.  One of
the highlights of the conference will be a focus on what is in store
for the next version of the language standard - find out late-breaking
news on the features that are being considered, and how they will
affect your use of the language.  Other topics on the refereed
conference program include experience reports from Ada developers and
educators, new findings from the research community, and an analysis
of Ada and Java for real-time programming.  Supplementing the program
will be a selection of exciting tutorials on Ada-related subjects, an
exhibit area where you can find the latest products from vendors, and
several workshops on technologies relevant to Ada.  Continuing an
initiative of SIGAda's Education Working Group, the conference is
making a special outreach effort to involve students and educators.

Since its inception, Ada has been successful in systems where
reliability is essential.  Its application domains include
aeronautics, air traffic control, aerospace, simulation, shipping,
railway systems, communications, and many others.  It is used in
environments ranging from bareboard embedded devices to large-scale
distributed real-time systems, and in multi-language software
interfacing with C, C++, Fortran, and Java.  Ada is used both in the
U.S. and abroad, for both government and commercial systems, and is
taught at colleges and universities where software engineering is an
important focus.  Whether you are from industry, government, or
academia, if you are interested in correct or reliable software, you
need to know where Ada is today and where it is going,

Tutorials cover a broad range of topics of interest to all software
engineering practitioners, including
* Object-Oriented Programming and Ada
* High Integrity Programming
* Real-Time Programming
* CORBA: Including CORBA for Embedded Systems
* Java: Using Java and Ada in complementary ways.
* Why students learn software concepts easily with Ada
* Software Understanding: HOw Ada makes it easy
* Concurrency: Java, Ada, and Posix comparison
* Exceptions: styles for high reliability

Workshops include:
* Creating a Symbiotic Relationship between XML and Ada
* Practitioner's views of Concurrency in Java, Ada, and C++
* Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS)

Whether you are from industry, government, or academia, if you are
interested in where Ada is today and where it is going, this is a
conference that you need to attend. The May 2001 Issue of the COTS
Journal featured an article titled "Ada Finds New Life in Commercial
Application and Legacy Upgrades". This conference will help you
discover why this is so!"

For the full technical program, tutorial & workshop descriptions, as
well as conference and hotel registration information, please visit
the conference website at:

    http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001

A synopsis of the Advance Program is located at:

   http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/SA2001AP.html

Sponsored by ACM's special interest group on the Ada Programming
Language (SIGAda), in cooperation with Ada-Europe and ACM SIGAPP,
SIGCAS, SIGCSE, SIGPLAN, SIGSOFT, and Twin Cities ACM SIGAda.

Hosted by Twin Cities SIGAda, chaired by
Paul Stachour (Stachour Software), [log in to unmask]