From:
"Harbaugh, John S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:20:27 -0700
In my experience, validation/conformance testing is primarily of value to the developer, rather than the end user.  Conformance testing demonstrates the degree to which the compiler has implemented the language specification.  The benefit to a developer is the ability to precisely characterize portability issues if the need arises to change compilers.  This in turn mitigates risks associated with changing vendors or platforms.

The end user usually cannot tell whether company X or company Y compiler was used just by looking at the MMI.  Quality products are the result of quality processes which encompass much more than a specific compiler or code generator.  Customers requiring the highest levels of integrity may want to investigate the FAA Certification process for DO-178B Level A software (software which could lead to the loss of an aircraft).

        - John

The views herein are the opinion of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The Boeing Company, nor of its suppliers or customers.