From:
"David C. Hoos, Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David C. Hoos, Sr.
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 16:23:35 -0500
The headline is nice, but reading the article reveals the following
paragraph:

--- begin quotation --
However, Murphy's Law--whatever can go wrong, will go wrong--is particularly
true for technology, so Mac users are advised to test-drive their clocks
with the big date. Also, some applications originally written for PCs may
have two-digit-date programming that skulked into the Mac version, so it's
advisable to ask application manufacturers if you need to upgrade. It's also
important to check anything homegrown on your Mac; office hacks who've
whipped up spreadsheet and database programs may have unwittingly written
years with two digits instead of four.
--- end quotation ---

So, as we on Team Ada all know, the problem is not only (and perhaps not
primarily) a hardware problem, but a SOFTWARE problem.

PC BIOSs have been written to avoid the problem for several years, now, so
there are many PCs which do not have a problem with the COMPUTER, but whose
software will be a problem.  In fact, given the ratio of PCs to Macs, I
would hazard a guess that there are more Y2K-compliant PCs in existence,
than all flavors of Apple computers combined.

There is a website called NSTL (National Software Testing Laboratories)
Online which has a utility that will check your computer to see if it is
Y2000 compatible.  The utility is called YMark2000.  NSTL will put its seal
of compliance on your companies computer for a fee.  At any rate, the
utility is free for personal testing.  You might want to check it out at:
http://www.nstl.com/html/ymark_2000.html

David C. Hoos, Sr.