Geoff Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:41:56 +1000
Tom Moran wrote:

>   So Sun does claim warranty of fitness for
> > ... direct life-support machines, or WEAPONS SYSTEMS"
> or submarines, cars, high speed trains, spacecraft, heavy
> machine control, enterprise-critical computer systems, etc?

Of course not!
Sun, like mickeysoft and most everybody else disclaims warranty
of fitness for *ANY* purpose (This applies to Gnat too, see the GPL).

BTW: the Sun license also has this to say in reference to air
traffic control, etc:
"You warrant that you will not use Software for these purposes."

Sun must think Java is suitable for enterprise-critical computer
systems, though, given their efforts with Enterpise Java Beans etc.
I can say that flying in an aircraft controlled by Java is
probably safer than one controlled by C, until garbage
collection kicks in just when you need reverse thrust.

Cheers
Geoff