Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Colin Paul Gloster <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:24:35 -0500
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, S. Ron Oliver wrote:
"At 05:12 PM 2/20/01 -0600, Johnson Phillip E wrote:

> >and/or Engineering (preferably all three), THEN do (at least) a one year
> >internship.  I tend to think it would be better if it were 1 1/2 years or
> >longer.
>
>I think if there is more than a one year internship we would lose a lot of
>candidates, but that might be a good filter in the process.

Precisely.  Just such a filter has many advantages.  (But that's a rather
long story. . .)

[..]"

Now most degrees I've ever come across (but perhaps especially programming
and engineering varities) do have internships but maybe my sample space is
not representative or maybe the degrees you are involved with do have
internships but you deem to be woefully low. Most of the ones I've come
across set aside in the order of six months in the penultimate year (third
year) for industry placements and I know of a couple which set aside nine
months. I do not know of any with longer timeframes but anyone doing a
degree of such a nature for the right reasons and with enough competency
already before even enrolling would be determined and sometimes successful
enough to work during the 3/4 month holidays in the first two years.

Should internships be at least eighteen months long then you will find
that so many undergraduates will not return and graduate, preferring to
stay at work.