From:
Michael Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:15:59 -0400
I wanted to thank all participants in last week's discussion on how best
to control spam on the Team Ada list. Of the many valuable suggestions
made, there appeared to be general consensus that the best option is to
change the list so that subscribers can freely post, but non-subscriber
posts are moderated. The ADM listserver implements this feature and I
have enabled it. This morning it already "caught" a valid message from a
non-subscriber that I will be forwarding to the list shortly.

Our list already implements a challenge/response scheme for new
subscriptions. While a determined spammer could always subscribe,
acknowledge their subscription, and then freely post to the list, our
hope is that they will not go to this effort. It appears that the
majority of spam that we receive is mass-e-mailed and will now only
appear in my mailbox, not yours.

The new subscriber-only post policy may affect those of you whose "From"
address differs from your subscribed address. Such messages will not be
distributed to the list until I am able to forward them, which I will
attempt to do at least once per day. If this causes great inconvenience,
contact me and we can change your subscribed address to match your
"From" line.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.

Mike
-- Mike Berman                              Team Ada list administrator
-- [log in to unmask]                          "Someone's gotta do it ..."