From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:44:47 -0700
To: Larry Kilgallen et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

I had a similar feeling when I saw the full page advertisement for
ObjectAda from Aonix in the April, 1998 edition of Embedded Systems
Magazine Vol 11, Number 4. In the same volume, Green Hills included Ada in
their list of compilers. Unfortunately, in the Microsoft Embedded Review
Advertising supplement, none of the articles (infommercials) included an
Ada product.

Christopher Creel had an interesting article, " Object-Oriented Solutions
for Embedded Applications", page 66. His criticisms of C and C++ including
their culture were quite correct. Unfortunately, he proposed the second
best solution, Eiffel. The arguments presented for Eiffel were equally
germane for Ada. Even the pre-conditions and post-conditions presented
would have been enforced by Ada's range checking. Fortunately, the
coevolution of languages will result in the development of a more formal
method of inserting Eiffel's excellent addition, assertions, into Ada.

At 02:24 PM 4/11/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I believe it was around these parts that someone was complaining
>about Ada compiler vendors not advertising.  Well I just got a
>brochure in the mail and in processing it in junkmail mode I looked
>at the end to see their survey.
>
>They asked what languages I used and Ada was right up front in
>the alphabetic list of choices.  I looked earlier in the brochure
>and saw that it was targeted at Windows programmers, and listed a
>lot of buzzwords.  Then I started reading actual paragraphs and
>discovered it was all a brochure about ObjectAda for Windows.
SNIP