Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:28:17 +1100
From: Geoff Bull <[log in to unmask]>
"Thomas A. Panfil" wrote:

> The latest set of publication order post cards from IEEE included an
> interesting one on an August 1999 book by Dr. Sumit Ghosh entitled:
> "Hardware Description Languages: Concepts and Principles."
>
> In addition to the origin and evolution of HDLs, it includes a
> treatment of the *subject* of this message.  Member price is $68.00.
>
> I've been interested in VHDL, and the work of Dr. Wong and
> Dr. Levine on "Kernel Ada to Unify Hardware and Software Design",
> and it would seem that this book may support their ideas.
>
> Its table of contents seems to indicate that 20 of its 276
> (maybe 239 or 400) pages are devoted to the Ada design.  See:

it's $79.95 at fatbrain.

And 10 of those 20 pages, under the heading "Hierarchical Representation
and Dynamic Multi-Level Simulation", seem to be about "zooming".
What is "zooming", and what is "Dynamic Multi-Level Simulation"?
I'm not about to spend US$80 (that's A$120) on 20 pages,
even though this is an area of immediate interest to me.

I have done some high level modelling of hardware with Ada and found it
more suited to this application than C, Java etc - much less
error prone bit bashing.

Cheers
Geoff