From:
"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:27:37 -0500
Tucker Taft pointed me to
 http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html

I was surprised.  I knew it would happen, but not to this extent!  When
people say they have to rewrite something in Java for portability
(snicker), there's a good chance you can tell them it will run on a JVM
with little or no source change.

A brief summary of the list, with a few gratuitous comments:

Ada  (no mention of the AdaJNI at http://www.Ainslie-Software.com)
(no mention of ObjectAda--even though parts of it are from Intermetrics,
it should not be treated as the "same" compiler.)

assembler (assembly language for bytecodes--here's the chance for you
crackers to see if the JVM is as secure as they say!)

BASIC

C++

CLIPS (for expert systems)

COBOL

Concurrent Clean

Combinatory Logic

Eiffel

assembler (assembly language for J-code--here's the chance for you
crackers to see if the JVM is as secure as they say!)

Excel (converts a spreadsheet into an applet)

FORTH

LISP

Logo (actually a couple of new languages that are "almost" Logo)

Modula-2 (not released yet)

ML

Occam

Oberon (not released yet)

Pascal (not released yet)

PLAN

Preprocessors that extend the Java language, including one that lets you
make your own extensions.  And compilers for pre-extended Java supersets.

Prolog and several "like Prolog" or "superset of Prolog"

Python

Rexx (actually Rexx syntax with Java semantics.  Hmmm.  your legacy code
will compile without complaint but it won't act the same?  Sounds pretty
stupid to me.)

Sather (text was confusing.  Sounded like this was NOT a J-code compiler,
but if so, why is it in this list?  I must have misinterpreted the word
"standalone")

Scheme

TCL

Visual BASIC

Many languages that are either new or unsung
(translation: I never heard of them).  a few of them sound quite valuable for their particular niche.

With all of the above, I was surprised to NOT see Fortran.  I was _not_
surprised at the omission of C.  One would have to disallow a good portion
of C's "features" just to satisfy the JVM's safety restrictions.

Of course, it's a sure thing that at least a few of the above are garbage.  :-)